Ms. Mickey’s Jambalaya RecipeChristy Irene
“]Jamba-WHO?! What is Jambalaya?
Jambalaya is a rice based dish, containing a mixture of meat and vegetables, with origins from West African, French, and Spanish cuisine. The West Africans had jolly rice. The Spaniards had paella. With the French influence There are so many ways that you can make jambalaya your own and suitable for your own tastebuds. Traditionally, jambalaya consists of smoked sausage (or other smoked meats such as Tasso or andouille sausage), seafood (shrimp or crawfish), chicken, or pork. It can contain all of the meats or just the ones you have on hand. With this being a southern Louisiana dish, it is common for it to contain the “Holy Trinity” (onion, celery, and green bell pepper). While this dish is an easy and simple family meal it is a true labor of love.
How to Make Jambalaya?
Gather the ingredients below and follow the steps in the recipe below. Jambalaya is simply made by browning the ingredients and allowing them to simmer in a broth to perfection. Our hope is that you enjoy and begin incorporating all these new delicious recipes to your weeknight meals.
- 1 Pound of Shrimp
- 12 ounces of Andouille sausages
- 2 cups of Raw Rice
- 1/3 cup of *Bayou Cajun Spice
- 4 tbsp of butter
- ½ tbsp of crushed red peppers
- ½ Chopped white onion
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 *Westbank Bay Leaves
- 15 ounces of Tomato Sauce
- 32 ounces of unsalted chicken broth
- Preheat skillet and prepare to brown sausage. After browning sausage drains grease and have skillet ready for step two.
- Heat skillet; add 4 tbsp of butter, 2 cups of raw rice, and 1/3 cup of Bayou Cajun Spice to for browning.
- After browning, add 32 ounces of chicken broth, 15 ounces of tomato sauce, 12 ounces of browned sausages, 1 pound of raw shrimp, 2 Westbank Bay Leaves, 2 chopped cloves of garlic, ½ chopped white onion, and ½ tbsp of crushed red peppers to the skillet. Allow ingredients to simmer for 20 minutes on a medium fire.
- Upon completion, remove from heat and add green onion to the dish for garnishing.
- Bon appétit!